Friday, March 01, 2013

Vegan for 30 Days

I thought I would talk a little bit about my food adventures over the last couple of months.  I haven't been able to eat dairy since Willow was born which changed the way I eat significantly.  As a former cheese maker that was particularly hard to give up.  I have found some good subs along the way and decided I would try going vegan for 30 days to see how it jived with my system.

Well, to put it mildly it didn't jive with me at all.  I was a little surprised but over all I ended up even gaining weight!  Weight loss wasn't my goal it was simply to try a new way of eating.   It was an eyeopener for me to learn how different body types really do require different food.  I have known for a while that I need to take it easy on the wheat but other than that everything is game.

The experiment also brought many different cook books and recipe ideas that I had never even thought of before!  That was really fun because I like to cook, a lot.  It is my moment at the end of the day when I keep my mind busy enough to let go of the day and the kids are usually, mostly occupied.

A couple of recommendations for folks who want to eat less meat:

Veganomicon: Great book overall.  I use this multiple times a week.
Vegan Slow Cooker: My newest addition with several real winners including Indonesian Stew and African Peanut Soup.
Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: Amazing cupcakes! They are all winners.

And below are some other non-vegan cookbooks that get regular rotation in my kitchen.


The aftermath of cupcakes:

3 comments:

Heather L. said...

Yes, I think different people require different kinds of diets.....which makes it hard when someone touts a certain diet as THE answer for everyone. Funny how some things help people and the same things hurt others.....

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, Jessica. One would have though the reverse.
I've experimented with juicing. You might find it helpful and don't have to be 100% juice all day long. It brought down my blood pressure a bunch and I did lose some unwanted fat.
Ask your friends and see if any of them have tried juicing.
Pam

Kevin Gardella for School Committee said...

I think I can honestly say that all of the recipies lacked meat. If I had chosen to eat them instead of binging on cheese its and sticks of pepperoni, I would have thought this I am certain

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...