Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Exploring

It is a good night. Chicken on the grill, artichokes steaming and an occupied child. We have been exploring new out door spots and came across a large group of lady slippers. I haven't seen one in a long time. I also found a large group of wild blueberries that we can hopefully find again later this summer.

When I go out foraging I usually have two books in tow. I take the Audubon guide to do my initial look up and then try to find it using the flower name in the Peterson's Guide to Edible Wild Plants. So far that has been the best book for the job. It is very thorough and has many categories for looking up plants like habitat and season.


1 comment:

Heather L. said...

Ah ladyslippers...always makes me think of how upset my mother was when I picked one as a child -- I guess it was illegal in VT to pick them. She made me take it right back to the woods! Almost as if she was afraid the police would show up!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...